M a X e D
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Some info on how to improve our system

Go down

Some info on how to improve our system Empty Some info on how to improve our system

Post  Markus Wed 10 May - 2:32

I GOT THIS INFO/TRICKS FOR PC FROM OTHER THREADS. I HOPE THIS MIGHT HELP TO MAKE YOUR LIFE SIMPLE LOLX Razz

Tweaking RAM

Users with 256 MB RAM or more this tweak will boost their Windows- and Game-Performance.
What it does: It tells Windows not to use any Swap File until there is really no more free RAM left.

Open the System Configuration Utility by typing msconfig.exe in the RUN command. There in your System.ini you have to add "ConservativeSwapfileUsage=1" under the 386enh section.

Restart your Windows and enjoy better Game performance
Making your Harddrive read files more faster

For those of you who use the NTFS file system you can significantly boost your disk access speed in Windows Explorer with a simple registry tweak.

Go to Start -> Run and type REGEDIT. When you're there scroll to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE -> System-> CurrentControlSet-> Control-> fileSystem. Once you're inside that folder create a new DWORD Value NtfsDisableLastAccessUpdate and modify the value to 1.

What this does is tell Windows not to update the Time Stamp on the folders of your HDD. That should boost your overall file speed.
NTFS Cluster Size-Better Harddrive Performance

Cluster is an allocation unit. If you create file lets say 1 byte in size, at least one cluster should be allocated on FAT file system. On NTFS if file is small enough, it can be stored in MFT record itself without using additional clusters. When file grows beyond the cluster boundary, another cluster is allocated. It means that the bigger the cluster size, the more disk space is wasted, however, the performance is better.

So if you have a large hard drive & dont mind wasteing some space, format it with a larger cluster size to gain added performance.

The following table shows the default values that Windows NT/2000/XP uses for NTFS formatting:

Drive size
(logical volume) Cluster size Sectors
----------------------------------------------------------
512 MB or less 512 bytes 1
513 MB - 1,024 MB (1 GB) 1,024 bytes (1 KB) 2
1,025 MB - 2,048 MB (2 GB) 2,048 bytes (2 KB) 4
2,049 MB and larger 4,096 bytes (4 KB) 8
However, when you format the partition manually, you can specify cluster size 512 bytes, 1 KB, 2 KB, 4 KB, 8 KB, 16 KB, 32 KB, 64 KB in the format dialog box or as a parameter to the command line FORMAT utility.

The performance comes thew the bursts from the hard drive. by having a larger cluster size you affectivly have a larger chunk of data sent to ram rather than having to read multiple smaller chunks of the same data.
Run Commands
-----------------------------------------------------------
compmgmt.msc - Computer management
devmgmt.msc - Device manager
diskmgmt.msc - Disk management
dfrg.msc - Disk defrag
eventvwr.msc - Event viewer
fsmgmt.msc - Shared folders
gpedit.msc - Group policies
lusrmgr.msc - Local users and groups
perfmon.msc - Performance monitor
rsop.msc - Resultant set of policies
secpol.msc - Local security settings
services.msc - Various Services
msconfig - System Configuration Utility
regedit - Registry Editor
msinfo32 _ System Information
sysedit _ System Edit
win.ini _ windows loading information(also system.ini)
winver _ Shows current version of windows
mailto: _ Opens default email client
command _ Opens command prompt

One-Click Shutdown (para sa mga tamad..lol)

1.) Navigate to your desktop.

2.) On the desktop, right-click and go to New, then to Shortcut (in other words, create a new shortcut).

3.) You should now see a pop-up window instructing you to enter a command line path.

4.) Enter one of these as the path:

* Use this path if your operating system is Windows 95, 98, or Me:
C:\windows\rundll.exe user.exe,exitwindows
* Use this path if your operating system is XP:
SHUTDOWN -s -t 01

5.) Click the "Next" button.

6.) Name the shortcut and click the "Finish" button.

Now whenever you want to shut down, just click on this shortcut and you're done. Also, if you want to make life better and faster, you can right-click the new shortcut you just made, go to Properties, and type in X (or whatever letter) in the Shortcut Key box.

Using FireFox? this will help broadband people..

1.Type "about:config" into the address bar and hit return. Scroll down and look for the following entries:

network.http.pipelining network.http.proxy.pipelining network.http.pipelining.maxrequests

Normally the browser will make one request to a web page at a time. When you enable pipelining it will make several at once, which really speeds up page loading.

2. Alter the entries as follows:

Set "network.http.pipelining" to "true"

Set "network.http.proxy.pipelining" to "true"

Set "network.http.pipelining.maxrequests" to some number like 30. This means it will make 30 requests at once. i put 35 instead of 30 Smile

3. Lastly right-click anywhere and select New-> Integer. Name it "nglayout.initialpaint.delay" and set its value to "0". This value is the amount of time the browser waits before it acts on information it recieves.

If you're using a broadband connection you'll load pages MUCH faster now!
well thats all for now..i'll just post the other tweaks weekly to keep this thread alive Very Happy .. thanks to the Indian Tech People who shared these things..

NOTE: Messing you REGISTRY EDITOR will surely make ur PC not work...or worst

~ KUDOS to my friend SnowBlind of Diyana for most of these information. XD
Markus
Markus
Level 15
Level 15

Number of posts : 47
Local : Quezon City, Philippines
Registration date : 2006-05-09

Back to top Go down

Some info on how to improve our system Empty Re: Some info on how to improve our system

Post  Markus Wed 10 May - 2:35

I GOT BORED OF PLAYING TANTRA SO I DECIDED TO SEARCH SOME TWEAKS TO IMPROVE PC PERFORMANCE AND FOR BETTER GAMING. I ALREADY APPLIED THE TWEAKS ON MY PC AND IT WORKS. I HOPE THIS MIGHT HELP.

TWEAK #1: Disable Last Access Timestamp

Whenever XP reads a file, it stamps the file with the date and time of the access. This feature has its place but is not required for normal use unless you rely on the date of last access for backup purposes. Timestamping a file that has just been read means that a write access has to be made to disk, so every time a read is executed, a corresponding write is also executed.

At the command prompt, enter the following then reboot;

FSUTIL behavior set disablelastaccess 1

Those of us who read and write real English need to take note of the American
spelling of the BEHAVIOR parameter.

To turn timestamping back on, repeat the command but replace the 1 with 0.
Tweak #2 Memory Management and Processor Scheduling
256MB RAM is the absolute minimum to take advantage of these changes. Those with faster Pentium 4's should see a significant performance boost. You should not perform any registry edits unless you know what you are doing. At the very least, you should consider performing a backup before proceeding.

TWEAK #3: Memory Management: Kernel Paging and Cache Tuning

The "DisablePagingExecutive" entry in the registry prevents the kernel (the core of the XP OS) from being rolled out to the page file. The effect of this part of the tweak is to cause the OS to cache the OS Kernel and its entourage to RAM instead of to disk, which makes XP far more responsive.

The "LargeSystemCache" registry entry forces XP to allocate all but 4MB of system memory, that is system memory, not avaliable RAM, to the file system cache. The remaining 4MB of system memory is used for disk caching, though XP will allocate more memory if it is needed.

A modern hard disk will transfer sequential data to and from disk at up to 40MB per second, or even faster on some drives, but the LargeSystemCache tweak means that effective transfer speeds of 1GB per second or more can be obtained, depending on the amount of RAM in your system and its operating speed. This is achieved because the LargeSystemCache modification causes the OS to store data read from disk in RAM. It means that the OS is always using the optimum amount of RAM instead of leaving it untouched for future use that may or may not occur. Without this part of the tweak, 200MB or more of RAM in a typical 512MB machine goes completely unused.

Some I/O intensive applications may take a hit in performance from changing the LargeSystemCache, so this particular component of the tweak should not be applied to a system that is running either SQL Server or Internet Information Server (IIS) because both of those applications perform their own caching.
Start regedit and navigate to the following key:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management]

Add these two lines, save the changes and reboot;

"DisablePagingExecutive"=dword:00000001

"LargeSystemCache"=dword:00000001

To see the effects of this part of the tweak, launch a large, memory hungry application. Any of the Microsoft Office suite of applications will do. Let the application load then exit from it. Fasten your safety harness then launch the application again.

I have a striped RAID 0 array of two ATA100 7,200 RPM disks. The array was lounging around on holiday in the sun and not doing much with a SiSoft Sandra Drive Index of 28,000. The two registry changes above caused the DI to triple from the original 28,000 to an upper mark of 85,000. A similar but scaled down performance increase can be expected for ATA 33/66 disks.e the 1 with 0.

TWEAK #4: Processor Scheduling

This part of the tweak is impossible to explain without getting into the technical ins and outs of binary values, bit pairs and bit masks. Suffice it to say, this part of the tweak forces short, variable length processor timeslices to be allocated to foreground processes three times more often than those timeslices given to background processes.

Start regedit and navigate to the following key:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\PriorityControl]

Change the dword value of Win32PrioritySeparation, save the changes and reboot;

"Win32PrioritySeparation"=dword:00000026

NOTE: The Win32PrioritySeparation value of 26 is hexadecimal. this corresponds to 38 decimal.
As with the cache tuning part of the tweak, this particular component of the tweak should not be applied to a system that is running either SQL Server or Internet Information Server (IIS) unless you are certain that you want to slow down those background processes.
For more information on how this tweak uses binary values and bit pairs, read any of these articles on Google.

~ another innovation brought to us by my friend SnowBlind ^^
Markus
Markus
Level 15
Level 15

Number of posts : 47
Local : Quezon City, Philippines
Registration date : 2006-05-09

Back to top Go down